Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You know, that one guy?

So my 6yr old has found discrimination in the world and I can't help but feel proud that he has joined the ranks of the different. One simple haircut, (and the willingness to stand out) is all it takes. When I was 13 or so I decided to grow my hair out. There was this guy who showed up in my school that year that used to mock me mercilessly. We'll call him dude, since I cannot remember his name. I was, at that age, about 5'4" and 125lbs. I had braces and a short haircut much like all cleancut boys have had for the last 40 years. Now, I was raised by hippies, so it's not like I was just trying to be what my parents wanted. I wanted to fit in. This guy that showed up though, had alot of hair in what can only be described as what happens to your afro if you don't take care of it. There were not many black kids in my town, but the ones that were there all managed to fit some stereotypes so that all the racism would be better hidden. Dude, however had unruly, untamed hair, a gift for riding a skateboard, and an undying love for metal. While he was pushing me out of my conformist ways by pointing them out to me, we had alot to talk about as I had, for the last year or so, been becoming increasingly obsessed with Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, and any music that kicked alot of ass, and did it quickly. By the end of that school year I had enough hair to piss off my grandmother and a new found understanding of speed metal. What does all this have to do with anything? Well, I had spent my whole childhood on the fringes. I was kind of chubby at times, always out of shape, and the only sport I was good at was european and not played in my dumb school. (bitterness recedes slowly) Finding my way into the world of outcasts and drunks gave me a place. And when my hair engendered discrimination, it just confirmed for me that I was different from everyone else, and I was ok with that. Buck up, little mohawk wearing boy o' mine. Soon you will have a life others only dream of. One of drugs, booze and the occasional "you're different!" beating.

No comments: