Friday, June 20, 2008

Taco Coins help man find peace.

I'm a little down these days. I've decided all doctors are fucking idiots. All dentists, chiropractors, legislators and everyone who seems to have any kind of mandate in their lives to help others, is a fucking idiot. My 71 year old father with emphysema and general fragility is held overnight in the hospital to be thoroughly tested because he had severe pain in his chest and left arm. Everything sounds great, right? They send him home with, "hmm. we don't know what it is. You should be fine though." My history with dentists is long, but suffice to say since the screaming bout of testosterone fueled rage that my last dentist and I had in his busy waiting room, I am down on those guys too. Doctors continue to look at me as if I'm retarded or a hypochondriac when I tell them that there's something wrong with me, and maybe they should actually check before they give me an unfounded diagnosis. (I don't have some big health problem I'm currently fighting, this is the story EVERY time I go to the doctor. Well except that whole post-coital headache thing. THAT they took seriously.)
The world of government continues to make me want to cry every time they do something. I am reminded of what my father said when I told him Paul Wellstone had died in a plane crash. "He was our last, best hope." At the time, I wrote that off as the pessimistic doom-saying that comes from all great tragedies, but is later forgotten. Now I'm not so sure. At least he could have been a voice for integrity and, in my left-leaning opinion, reason in these times of absurdly machiavellian or completely moronic public policy. So what's left for me? How can I continue to slog through the miasma? (to overuse my vocabulary)
A good friend who deserved not to be forgotten yesterday asked if I had seen The Daily Show's first day back after September 11th. I had not. So I went HERE and watched it. There could be a great deal to say about this video, but let me focus on one thing that he said. Jon Stewart asks, "Do you know why I mourn, but do not despair?" That question is everything I want to be able to answer and on the best of days, I can. But today the answer comes a little easier, and in words more eloquent than I had. And they have something to do with cottage cheese and sitting under your desk. Thanks Jon Stewart, and you, nameless, forgotten friend for giving me some cottage cheese. I have a big desk if you guys ever need somewhere to hide.

No comments: