Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I was born in 1974.  I graduated from high school in 1992.  When we were in high school we were growing up in a time between MTV and iTunes.  The music world was going through another one of it's constant changes that everyone thinks is special because it's their change, in their time.  I haven't thought much about what it all was, what it all meant much until my friend shared with me a couple movies about music that brought it all back.  Sound City and Pearl Jam 20.  The two bands that those movie brought back to me in vivid memories and feelings were Pearl Jam and Nirvana, but also Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and The Screaming Trees and everyone else you probably can list better than me.  But it also brought back in a different way Metallica and Megadeth and Anthrax and Exodus and Sepultura and Slayer and all those other bands that I can probably list better than you.

But the important thing here is that we all attach an unrealistic importance to our time and the music that goes with it.  I might wonder why people hate me for hating The Beatles, but I will probably hate you for hating Metallica.  So I guess we're square.

No comments: