Thursday, September 19, 2013

The power of words.

I don't care about who likes what pop song, or if someone else finds something offensive.  Because usually that's about your story and your sensitivity.  If you don't like it, don't listen to it.  So consequently I was (and am) very dismissive of the controversy over Robin Thicke's song "Blurred Lines."  But today my friend posted a link to an interesting project.  It would be hard for these images of sexual assault victims quoting their attackers to not make me think of that song.

Now I understand.

Does that mean the song is bad?  Should we ban it?  Should Thicke apologize?  No.  Don't listen to it if it makes you uncomfortable.  But what does this mean?  It means we all get to think more.  What should happen, and usually does, is that it makes me more conscious of what I say, what I teach my sons, what I teach my daughter, the jokes I make and who I make them to. All of it.  I reflect on my self and the world around me.  It might not change my behavior all the time, but it forces me to think about myself.  That is the engine of change.  I will never listen to that song again in the same way.  Too bad, 'cause it's catchy.  But it will be forever colored for me.  Good.  I've learned something.  Something I have very little perspective on.  I was able to chase away the guy who wanted to assault me when I was a kid.  I didn't have to listen to him talk.  But now I can imagine a shade of what that would have been like.  And what language can do.

Just think about it.


No comments: