Friday, July 18, 2008

The people in my living room after my wife goes to bed.

I like to watch late night talk shows for the genuine moments from people who don't suck. The subtle implication there is that many of them do. Rosie Perez is a terrible guest. She's fucking annoying. Many people are just boring morons that may or may not be good actors/athletes/whores, but once in a while, the guest turns out to be someone super fucking entertaining, just as themselves. If Patton Oswalt is the guest, you must watch, if only for the good of the country.

So here's the odd part. So even those bad, dumb, lame, shallow guests can be fun because the host is good at this. That's why they get the job. (Except Carson Daly. Seriously, what the fuck? Even before he ignored the writers strike, thereby making me positive I wouldn't watch 2 seconds of his terrible fucking show, even if his guest list was Jesus, my dead grandfather I never got to meet, and Brooke Burke naked, he was the worst host I could possibly imagine) But David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, Conan O'Brien, these guys will at least mock a bad guest in a quiet little way that makes it worth my time.

So if you are an idiot like me who stays up all goddamn night for no reason, you may know that they replay Oprah late at night. I don't usually watch it unless she's giving away a naked hooker, 'cause Oprah couldn't interview a newspaper, but I was flippin' around the other night and Oprah's guest is DAVID FUCKING LETTERMAN. Letterman's sense of humour is often questionable, but he can interview. This man knows how to steer any lame ass into a relatively entertaining moment. Things bode well for this episode of Name dropping rich lady, but David Letterman answers questions like he's afraid someone might be listening. What the christ does this mean? My faith is shaken. My heart is a little broken. I may never love again. Did you ever write a blog that you didn't know how to end on an entertaining note? I feel a little like David Letterman.

1 comment:

CLARITYTHRUNOISE said...

That's how I got my naked hooker...Oprah.

love Nikki