Thursday, August 14, 2008

Start Seeing Motorcycles. And write down their plate number.

I just got a phone call from my good friend Dan Smith. Dan is one of my few close friends whom I have not known since childhood. Dan teaches High School in my home town and we met about 6 years ago when he was new there. Dan is an avid bicyclist and rides over 2000 miles a summer in various rides, races and other craziness. Fucking exercise. Dan called me because he didn't want me to hear on the radio that on Tuesday night, while riding past Camden State Park a wonderful human being on a black Harley Davidson decided to try and shoot through the pack of bicyclists in excess of 60mph. He failed. He struck Dan at full speed throwing him a great distance and then when Dan struck pavement and slid, he channeled the entire U.S. Men's olympic gymnastics team and tucked his head, drove his shoulder into the ground, poppped up into a back flip/twist and landed on his feet. His left elbow was destroyed and he will go through a couple surgeries at least but he was otherwise mostly okay. The awesome Harley ridin' stud slowed, looked back at the carnage, and gunned it, leaving the scene. They cannot identify him, so they're not sure if he will be caught. I'm not really sure how to react. I want to go buy Dan a beer to go with his morphine, I wanna hunt and kill this guy, and I just want to sit and shake a little. As Dan said, at least we're not all together drinking to his memory. Thanks Harley guy for not killing him. I hope you get hit by an SUV and suffer horribly before the ambulance arrives. Then I hope you get better and walk everywhere in fear of motorized transportation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude that sucks. I did a little Shakespeare in the park with Dan Jr, and his dad was my favorite high school teacher, and the reason I never gave up on the English teaching goal. Please send my prayers to Dan. I heard his dad was sick, but haven't followed up on that...a little scared to
(I tried emailing him on the school website once, but the links were all bad and went to one other guy's address)