Thursday, August 28, 2008

Whining is MY national pastime.

One of my students said to me the other day: "You're really organized this year." While ignoring the fact that this is certainly not true, I do feel as if I am getting a handle on the craziness of this job. The part that scares me is that I just took a bunch of vacation time. What if I get tired and start falling apart later? How do normal people who have an innate ability to do things because they need to be done, rather than because they were supposed to be done, keep going? I just want to feel like I'm riding the wave all the time. Sure, there are moments where you're afraid the crest of the wave will collapse and you'll get wet, but it's different than coughing and spitting while wondering if there will be sand if you try and put your feet down. Ahh, extended metaphors. I thank god for all the bad fiction I read as a child every time I spit one of those out. Anyway. Here I sit blogging when I should be paddling my board ahead of that wave. . . .

No comments: