Monday, September 8, 2008

Now THAT'S a lunch break. . .






Once last year, on my lunch break, I just started driving, not sure where I would go and saw a sign for a county park. Lake Washington County Park, in LeSeuer County, to be exact. Shanaska Creek runs through the park and the only remaining active* bridge from the 1856 DOT system is in the park. (Shanaska Creek Bridge, surprisingly) Last week I took my camera with me on my lunch break and went back. I have been there 3 times and I have seen beavers, frogs, deer, a great Blue Heron, and even what I believe was a Great Grey Owl in this park. (Great Grey Owls are not generally native to this area) This is the only part of my personality that I KNOW I learned from my father. When I didn't go home for 3 days when I was 16 and my Mom called Dad to straighten me out, he took me to the local state park to sit me down on a rock beside the river before he told me how little my Mother deserved to be saddled with a pain in the ass like me. Just up and going somewhere wild is a part of the package with me and I can't tell you how thankful I am for that. Maybe I should become a park ranger. . . . .

* apparently "active" includes foot traffic. No roads in there anymore.

4 comments:

Butch Roy said...

did you bring a camera with intentionally? If not that's really really good color for a cell pic

CLARITYTHRUNOISE said...

why can't you bring the lowly people next door with on these lunch breaks? we're just watching 'arrested development'...
Those pics are gorgeous.

Butch Roy said...

tell me you go out in the woods and scream at the Great Grey Owl about how Minnesota's timber industry doesn't deserve to be saddled with a little pain in the ass bird from Manitoba.

Curyusgrg said...

I did bring my expensive camera. . . . and threw it at the owl.